Specialist Acne Clinic (Perth)
Great For Facial acne, cystic acne, hormonal acne, mature age acne, backne
Areas Treated Face, neck, shoulders, back, chest
Down Time None. An improvement is usually seen in less than 2 weeks
Results Duration Results are usually long lasting. Some clients like to come in for an annual treatment to maintain clear skin.
AKA Pimple Treatment, Dimalux LED Light Therapy, Acne Light, Ominilux Light Therapy
What is the Skin Resus Acne Treatment?
Before and After Acne Treatment with LED Light Therapy*
What causes acne?
- Excessive sebum (oil) production;
- Skin cells that shed become abnormally sticky and clog up the hair follicles;
- Increased number of the P. acnes skin bacterium; and
- Skin inflammation.
Effective acne treatment
- Mild acne will usually respond very well to our Aspect Dr skin care which is available without a prescription. We recommend the Aspect Dr Problem Skin Kit plus Multi B serum. The active ingredients in this kit regulate oil production, speeds up the shedding of skin cells, destroys the P. acnes bacteria and reduces inflammation.
- For mild to moderate acne, one of our Doctors will usually prescribe Duac Gel and Dimalux LED Therapy. Duac is a topical skin cream which contains an antibiotic (Clindamycin) to target the P.acnes bacteria, and Benzyl Peroxide to exfoliate and reduce congestion. While very popular as a stand-alone acne treatment, we have found that Duac is even more effective when combined with a course of Dimalux LED Therapy.
- Dimalux LED Therapy consists of both a blue and a red light treatment. The blue light targets and destroys skin bacteria, while the red red light acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory reducing redness, cyst formation and scar potential, and stimulates healing and collagen production. We recommend two 20 minute sessions per week (one blue light, one red light) for 4 weeks.
- For severe acne a course of PhotoDynamic Therapy can be useful. For this treatment, a thin layer of light-sensitising cream (ALA or Amino-Laevulinic acid) is applied to the skin and left on for up to 5 hours. The Dimalux LED light is then directed onto the affected area for 5 - 10 minutes. Where the risk of scarring is considered to be high, our Doctors may recommend referral to a Dermatologist for Roaccutane therapy.
What else can help acne?
For a wholistic approach to acne our Doctors also recommend:
- Daily Fish Oil Supplements;
- The use of a good sunscreen that doesn't block pores (many acne preparations make you more sun sensitive); and
- Mineral makeup, which does not harbour bacteria or block pores.
- Low GI diet - see below for more information
A recent groundbreaking study has established that diet has a significant impact on acne. Here's the Anti Acne Diet in a nutshell:
- Eat lean red meat 3-4 times and fish twice a week (and red meat for lunch daily);
- Choose low GI carbs: wholegrain breads, high-fibre cereals, past and legumes;
- Aim for 3 serves of fruit and 5 serves of (low GI) vegetables a day;
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks and limit takeaway, white bread, cakes and biscuits.