Before I (very luckily) began working here as a Receptionist and Makeup artist, I was a client. I discovered Skin Resus in my search for getting rid of my acne. It was horrible. I’d given up on even trying to cover it with makeup because no matter what I used or how much I used you could still see it, and it would just get worse due to the ingredients in the commercial products I was using.
At 17, my mum and I had probably spent over $2000 on products and “miracle cures” that never made a difference. I was at the point where I thought, I don’t care what it costs-if it works I want it!
I had my first consultation with Ysobel and straight away felt as though I was in the right place. She recommended I speak with David due to the severity, which I was able to do that day. (As many of our clients know) David was wonderful. He explained everything in depth and helped me understand what was causing my acne. I got a script for a topical lotion, was recommended to buy some Omega 3 capsules and was given information on the “anti acne diet” (which is basically a low-GI, healthy, balanced lifestyle change.)
I also started Dimalux treatments that day and had 4 lights a week for 4 weeks. At this point I had a review and got to see the photos in my file. I was amazed! It had made such a difference, I couldn’t believe this was ACTUALLY WORKING!! I’m so proud of the results that my photo’s are up on our Acne page- and you are welcome to come in and have a look at them (and me!) anytime.
Once my acne had calmed down and was under control, I began IPL treatments for the red scarring and have had 2 Fraxel treatments for the pitted scarring.
Now my skin is amazing. Its smooth, clear and the only time I get a pimple is if I eat too much chocolate! I’ll forever be grateful to Skin Resus for helping me with my skin, but even more so for giving me a job!
My tips on controlling acne are:
- Stay away from too much dairy and sugar.
- Follow the Low-GI diet as best as you can (but don’t let it stress you out)
- Excersize and drink plenty of water
- Try to avoid Vitamin C in supplements and topical products unless its L-Ascorbic Acid
- Try to avoid flaxseed
- Start taking Bioceuticals EPA/DHA Omega 3’s. They worked a treat for me!
- Monitor your diet, and get to know how your body reacts to food/products. This is how I discovered Vitamin C and Flaxseed made me break out.
- Stick to your Dimalux treatments! It’s a gradual improvement but if you keep to it- the results will speak for themselves.
- Retinol. Retinol. Retinol. My favourite thing in the world! This has been my biggest help. We’ve got some great ones from Aspect Dr and SkinCeuticals but if you’re acne is stubborn get on the prescription ones. (Bonus: It also keeps me wrinkle free for an extra few years!!!)
- Don’t go near any makeup that is less than 100% mineral. It’ll clog your pores, harbour bacteria and irritate your skin. I refuse to use anything other than Jane Iredale. Not only does it do a great job of covering acne, it’s magical ingredient “pine bark extract” evens out the flow of sebum, which means less breakouts. Pine Bark extract is also a highly potent antioxidant.
Now, this may not work for everyone- as each person is individual but it’s a great place to startJ