Specialist Acne Scarring Clinic Perth
- Scarring that can be treated includes red scarring, pigmented scarring, pitted scarring, keloid scars, acne scars, surgical scars, accident scars, chicken pox scars and other scarring.
- Areas typically treated include the face, neck, back and all areas of the body.
- Down time required ranges from 0 to 10 days, depending on the treatment.
- Results from laser treatments are permanent, though a course of treatments will usually be needed.
- Acne treatments may also be referred to as Fraxel Laser, Erbium Laser, Scar Treatment, Fractional Laser Treatment, Micropen, Fraxel Dual Laser, Skin Needling or Dermaroller.
What is the best treatment for acne scarring?There are a range of treatments available in Perth for acne and other scarring. The right treatment for you is dependent on the type of scarring, as well as your budget and time available for recovery. A course of treatments is usually required, and in many cases a combination of treatments may be the most effective.
Acne Scarring before and after Erbium Laser*
Acne Scarring before and after Fraxel Laser*
Acne Scarring before and after IPL and Fraxel Laser*
*Individual results may vary
Red Acne Scarring
The redness associated with acne will usually fade with time, but this process can be sped up by IPL Rejuvenation. A course of IPL Rejuvenations is simple and effective. For most redness, 3 - 4 treatments will be required with around 4 weeks between each treatment. Improvement will usually be seen within days of the first treatment, with a gradual fading of the redness. This will be further reduced with subsequent treatments.
Pigmented (Brown) Scarring
Darker skins often respond to injury by producing melanin, resulting in pigmented scarring. This will often fade with time, and sunscreen is useful in helping it to fade and preventing it from worsening. Laser treatments for pigmentation, such as the Revlite Laser or Fraxel Dual 1927 Laser may also be used. Pigmentation will often respond to a single treatment.
Raised, Depressed or Pitted Scarring
This is the type of scarring most commonly associated with acne, and often a combination of these are present. At Skin Resus we see great results from a number of our treatments:
- Fraxel Dual 1550 Laser is generally considered to be the gold standard for treatment of acne scarring. Fraxel Laser produces microscopic columns of heat, that penetrate deep in the skin, stimulating a healing response. These microscopic treatment zones are interspersed with areas of normal skin, meaning recovery is rapid and treatment is safe on all skin types. A local anaesthetic cream is applied to the skin prior to treatment. 3 - 5 treatments are usually required with improvement seen over the course. Redness and swelling will be seen for 2-3 days following treatment, with a sunburn like peeling occurring on day 4 - 5.
- Erbium Laser Resurfacing is a significantly stronger treatment, with results seen after 1 - 2 treatments. Anaesthetic cream and oral analgesics are used prior to treatment, and you will need to get a lift home. There is considerably more down-time after the Erbium, most often 7 - 10 days, with severe redness, swelling and crusting seen for the first 4-5 days. Vaseline is applied to the skin at this time as a protective barrier and to keep the area from drying out. After 7 days, makeup can usually be worn, and the skin will rapidly improve, though redness can persist for many months after.
- Micropen Collagen Induction Therapy offers an alternative to Fraxel and Erbium Lasers, for those who cannot afford the cost or the down-time associated with these stronger treatments. During the treatment, hundreds of superficial micro-channels are created every few seconds, stimulating collagen and elastin production, reducing the appearance of scarring. No local anaesthetic is required - you will usually just notice a scratching sensation as the Micropen is passed over the skin. A course of 3 - 6 treatments is required, with improvement continuing in the months after treatment is completed. There is no down-time, though your skin may be a little pink for several hours after the treatment.
- Dermal Fillers may also be used to treat acne scarring. This is a simple procedure and involves the injection of tiny amounts of filler under the skin to lift the depressed areas. Results are seen immediately and while there is usually no down-time, an occasional bruise may be seen. Fillers last from 9-12 months.