Skin Resurfacing Perth
Specialist Skin Resurfacing Clinic Perth
- Laser resurfacing is also known as Sciton Laser, Sciton Profractional Laser, Contour TRL and Laser Resurfacing.
- Laser resurfacing treatments are great for improving sun damage, pigmentation, lines and wrinkles, skin tightening, acne scarring and treating ageing concerns.
- Traditionally the areas treated include the face, neck, chest (décolletage), cheeks, forehead, around eyes (crows' feet), around mouth (smokers' lines) and hands.
- Down time required for this treatment ranges from 7-14 days, with pinkness persisting for several weeks.
- Results from skin resurfacing treatments are permanent, however results vary from person to person.
What is Erbium Laser Resurfacing?
Laser Resurfacing is a treatment to reduce lines and wrinkles, skin laxity, uneven pigmentation, acne scarring and other scarring. It is ideal for the face, neck, chest and hands, and restores healthy, younger-looking skin in just one or two treatments. For Treatments on the neck, chest and hands, a lighter Resurfacing treatment is performed (ProFractional Laser Resurfacing). For these areas two or more treatments will be required.
Before and After Erbium Laser Resurfacing*
*Individual results may vary
How Does Laser Resurfacing Work?
The Erbium Laser works in several ways to reduce scarring and reverse the signs of ageing. On the surface of the skin old epidermal cells are destroyed which removes superficial pigmentation. As the laser penetrates the dermis, microscopic channels are made, shrinking excess skin and boosting collagen production in the deep layers of your skin, plumping the skin from the inside out. This results in:
- Tightening of excess skin
- Softening of fine lines and wrinkles
- Smoothing of raised and depressed scarring
- Removal of age and sun spots
- New collagen production
How Many Erbium Treatments Will I Need?
For fine lines and light-to-moderate sun damage on the face, excellent results will usually be seen after one treatment. For more advanced sun-damage or ageing, acne scarring or other scarring or treatments in off-face areas, two or more treatments are recommended.
What Does the Erbium Laser Treatment Involve
Before the treatment, a local anaesthetic cream will be applied to the skin and left for approximately 90 minutes. Oral analgesics and local anaesthetic injections will also be used as appropriate. As the laser is passed over your skin, you will feel a warm to hot prickly sensation. Treatment time for a full face is approximately 40 minutes.
What Can I Expect After the Erbium Laser Resurfacing?
Immediately after the treatment, the skin will be cleaned and cooled and a soothing balm will be applied. You will have a burning sensation similar to sunburn for several hours. Your skin will also feel tight, but in most cases, there will be little pain. There will be some mild swelling and sometimes pin-point bleeding, which will dry overnight. Your skin may show a fine pin-point pattern as a result of the fractional laser beams.
For up to a week after the treatment you will see notable redness and moderate swelling, as well as a prominent dry scale/crust on the skin surface. Vaseline should be applied to the face at this time to keep it moist and provide a protective barrier. Peeling will occur after 4-6 days. While the redness will improve markedly from this time, some pinkness can persist for several weeks. This is easily covered with mineral makeup.
Significant improvement in the tone and texture of the skin will be apparent 2 - 3 weeks after treatment, with collagen stimulation continuing for 3 months.
The Week After Your Erbium Laser Resurfacing.
Warning: This is a strong treatment and looks terrible for the first 3-4 days, then rapidly improves.
Erbium Laser Resurfacing After Care
We'll Take Good Care of You...
As you can see from the images above, there is significant down time after an Erbium Resurfacing Laser, but don't worry - our lovely team will take good care of you and your skin throughout the recovery process.
Are there any side effects from Erbium Laser Resurfacing?
In general, Erbium Laser resurfacing is very safe, though some side-effects can occur:
- Redness will be seen in the week after treatment and this can persist for some weeks afterwards.
- Oozing and crusting is expected for the first 3 - 5 days after a resurfacing treatment. We will give you all you need to care for your skin after the treatment.
- Cold sore outbreaks can occur – antiviral medication will be provided to prevent this.
- Temporary increase in pigmentation can occasionally occur, and is more likely in darker skin types.
- Mild acne outbreaks can occur in susceptible individuals.
- Blisters are very rare but can occasionally occur. These are temporary.
- Bacterial or fungal infections are rare but are possible with any deep laser treatments.
- Loss of pigment or scarring is very rare.